Beet and Sweet Potato Fries
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon green peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 large fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, peppercorns and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Peel and cut sweet potato in half widthwise; cut each half into 1/2-in. strips. Place in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Spread onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- 3. Peel and cut beets in half; cut into 1/2-in. strips. Transfer to the same bowl; add the remaining oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Spread onto another parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- 4. Bake vegetables, uncovered, at 425° for 20-30 minutes or until tender, turning once. Serve with peppercorn mayonnaise.
1 serving: 226 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Feb 4, 2017
This is such an easy and absolutely delicious recipe! I added a little rosemary when I roasted the veggies, which my husband and I enjoyed. The peppercorn sauce really compliments the beets and sweet potatoes, and I'll definitely be making these fries again!
May 25, 2015
I love roasted root vegetables so I did enjoy eating these. I did not get the recipe title being "Fries" as I did not get the texture I have come to associate with traditional fries, no crispy exterior. Rather soft and moist. I used freshly ground mixed peppercorns in the mayonnaise and thought it was good. So although I did enjoy eating these and like the colorful array I did feel slightly disappointed in the expectation of a Fry.