This soup was a hit with a group of German exchange teachers who visited our high school. I usually serve it with soft pretzels or crusty bread, and it's also a treat with slices of cooked bratwurst or kielbasa stirred into it. —Paula Zsiray, Logan, Utah
Recommended: Recipes Inspired by Beauty and the Beast
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in beer until smooth. Whisk in stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat. Gradually stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Beer-Cheese Velvet Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p228