Beefy Tomatoes Recipe
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato and discard; remove core. Carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Reserve 1 cup pulp (discard remaining pulp or save for another use). Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the basil, salt, pepper and reserved tomato pulp; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rice, cheese and egg; heat through. Spoon into tomato shells.
- 3. Place in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 215 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 525mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Beefy Tomatoes
"This was a great dish, that my family loved. The only problem I had was that we had extra of the filling, so I would suggest using a few extra tomatoes, I'm thinking 3 would do."