Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato and discard; remove core. Carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Reserve 1 cup pulp (discard remaining pulp or save for another use). Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the basil, salt, pepper and reserved tomato pulp; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rice, cheese and egg; heat through. Spoon into tomato shells.
- Place in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed tomato: 208 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Mar 28, 2011
This was a great dish, that my family loved. The only problem I had was that we had extra of the filling, so I would suggest using a few extra tomatoes, I'm thinking 3 would do.
May 14, 2009
My husband made these last night for dinner, so I know it had to be fairly easy. They turned out wonderful. My daughter who is 16 months would not eat the tomato, but she loved the inside filling. Yummy! We would make this recipe again.