Beefy Tomato Rigatoni
Sharing recipes with friends is a favorite pastime of mine, and I get many requests for this mouthwatering main dish.—Trudy Williams, Shannonville, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 cups shredded fully cooked beef rump roast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4-1/2 cups rigatoni or other large tube pasta, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in beef, salt and pepper flakes. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add pasta; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Originally published as Beefy Tomato Rigatoni in Country Woman November/December 2001