Beefy Spinach Noodle Bake
I enjoy trying new, uncomplicated dishes, and when I find a winner like this, I'm eager to share the recipe. I round out the meal with steamed buttered carrots and oven-fresh rolls.—Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup milk
- SPINACH LAYER:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup crushed french-fried onions
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine soup and milk until blended. Stir in beef mixture and noodles; set aside.
- For spinach layer, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, paprika, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach and green onions.
- In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the beef mixture and half of the cheese. Top with spinach mixture and remaining beef mixture. Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with french-fried onions. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 450 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Beefy Spinach Noodle Bake in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.