Beefy Spinach Noodle Bake
I enjoy trying new, uncomplicated dishes, and when I find a winner like this, I'm eager to share the recipe. I round out the meal with steamed buttered carrots and oven-fresh rolls.—Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup milk
- SPINACH LAYER:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup crushed french-fried onions
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine soup and milk until blended. Stir in beef mixture and noodles; set aside.
- For spinach layer, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, paprika, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach and green onions.
- In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the beef mixture and half of the cheese. Top with spinach mixture and remaining beef mixture. Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with french-fried onions. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.