- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- French bread
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic until the meat is browned; drain. Stir in the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir in tomato paste and heat through. Serve with French bread. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forBeefy Spanish Rice
"I started making this many years ago as a teenager when I first saw it in Taste of Home. I've basically forgotten about it and tonight my little one had a friend over (they're 5) and this popped into my head for supper. They both loved it and I'm going to start making it regular again!"
"Great hearty confort food. The grandkids love this after an afternoon of sledding. Serve with a crisp green salad, sour cream, if desired, and salsa."