Beefy Rice Squares
My mother used to make this when I was growing up. Now I serve it to my family. It's one of my favorites because it's fast and easy.—Barb Block, Tigerton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups Italian tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In another large bowl, combine the rice, cheese and remaining tomato sauce. Pour over meat mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 516 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1560mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Beefy Rice Squares in Casserole Cookbook