Beefy Rice Squares
My mother used to make this when I was growing up. Now I serve it to my family. It's one of my favorites because it's fast and easy.—Barb Block, Tigerton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups Italian tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In another large bowl, combine the rice, cheese and remaining tomato sauce. Pour over meat mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 516 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1560mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Beefy Rice Squares in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.