Beefy Jalapeno Corn Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs, corn, milk and oil. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 cups cheese; top with the beef, onion and jalapenos. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with remaining batter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cornbread topping comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 390 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 26, 2016
Needs seasoning. I also added minced garlic. Didn't use jalape?os, but some crushed red peppers.
Dec 21, 2009
Modifications are essential -- this dish is OVERloaded with grease/fat. Use dnaleri's good suggestions and use low-fat milk. And the beef could use some seasoning -- at least salt, pepper and garlic. Batter was very thin/runny and barely enough for 2 layers. I'd try using more flour next time.
Oct 22, 2009
This is very good. I did make some changes to the recipe. Here is what I did: I browned the onion and 1 jalapeno pepper in withthe ground beef. I used less than a 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 cups (8oz) shredded mexican cheese blend.