- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs, corn, milk and oil. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 cups cheese; top with the beef, onion and jalapenos. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with remaining batter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into corn bread topping comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBeefy Jalapeno Corn Bake
"Needs seasoning. I also added minced garlic. Didn't use jalape?os, but some crushed red peppers."
"Modifications are essential -- this dish is OVERloaded with grease/fat. Use dnaleri's good suggestions and use low-fat milk. And the beef could use some seasoning -- at least salt, pepper and garlic. Batter was very thin/runny and barely enough for 2 layers. I'd try using more flour next time."
"This is very good. I did make some changes to the recipe. Here is what I did: I browned the onion and 1 jalapeno pepper in withthe ground beef. I used less than a 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 cups (8oz) shredded mexican cheese blend."