For years I’ve made the best hot dog chili out there. It’s immortal, it’s family friendly, and I carry the recipe because people beg for it. —Vicki Boyd, Mechanicsvile, Virginia
Featured In: 50 Kid-Friendly Meals (That Aren't Chicken Nuggets)
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- Shredded cheddar cheese and chopped onion, optional
- For chili, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer beef to a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- Return beef to skillet; stir in seasonings and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook hot dogs according to package directions. Serve in buns with chili. If desired, top with cheese and onion.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in a freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2 cups chili).
Originally published as Beefy Chili Dogs in Simple & Delicious June/July 2016
Reviews forBeefy Chili Dogs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2016
"This would make a decent sloppy Joe, but not very good hot dog chili. It was too ketchupy for me."