Beefy Broccoli Asparagus Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Broil: 15 min. + chilling
- 3/4 pound beef top sirloin steak
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash pepper
- Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°); cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus and broccoli; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry; refrigerate.
- For dressing, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, ginger, sugar and pepper; shake well. Thinly slice beef and place in a bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, add vegetables and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 229 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 5, 2014
I love this recipe! I agree that it does take a bit of time to prepare, but it's even better the next day in my opinion, so it's something that you could make ahead of time if need be. My only deviation from the recipe is that I cook my steak sous vide at 130?, but that's just my preference.
Jun 1, 2009
This salad was very good.It was a bit time consuming to get everything chilled but well worth it.