Beefy Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add to tomato mixture. Stir in beans; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 225 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 1091mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 15g protein.
Jan 24, 2016
This was terrible! The tomato puree taste was over powering! Now I'm trying to find a way to alter it to use up the leftovers! I would not make this again.
Jan 21, 2016
The tomato sauce taste is too strong and it is way too salty. Don't waste your time on this recipe.
Jan 6, 2015
Though mine came out more like a goulash than a soup, it was good. I did have to add a little more seasoning to the dish as it was cooking. The canned tomato taste was just a bit too prevalent. Turned out nicely in the end.
Sep 9, 2014
This soup was a complete fail. The taste of the canned tomatoe puree was too over powering. I let it simmer for almost an hour hoping to tone down the taste of canned tomatoe but to no avail. I even added more beef broth to it. My family said the taste reminded them of spaghetti O's. We ended up having a pizza night.
Jul 17, 2013
Yum Yum Yum! I love soup! I have made this twice and once I used a can of Italian tomatoes and it was even better.
Jun 13, 2010
Very good my husband said now that is even better then the soup we buy when we eat out. thanks for sharing... will make it again..
May 25, 2010
Easy to prepare and was well liked by my family! Will definitely be making this recipe again! The leftovers are really good the next day :D
Mar 23, 2009
I absolutely agree with the first comment. It is so fast to make too and easy to adapt. I used ground turkey and chicken broth instead of beef as it was what I had on hand. And it was fabulous.