We love Mexican flavors and spicy foods––and this recipe has it all. Try our peppers wrapped with flank steak along with rice, beans and sour cream.—Jane Whittaker, Pensacola, Florida
Recommended: Stuffed Peppers Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 ounces fully cooked chorizo chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup salsa verde
- Cut steak into four serving-size pieces; pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add sausage; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese, cilantro, lime juice and pepper.
- Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. Fill each pepper with 1 tablespoon pepper jack cheese and 1/3 cup filling. Wrap a piece of steak around pepper and tie with kitchen string.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Top with salsa. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef-Wrapped Stuffed Peppers in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p18