Beef Wellington Bundles
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves and fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 6 sheets refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- For pesto, in a food processor, combine 3 tablespoons oil, basil, parsley, Parmesan cheese and salt. Cover and process until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown steaks in 2 tablespoons butter and remaining oil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until liquid is absorbed.
- Cut each pastry sheet into an 8-in. square (discard scraps or save for another use). Place a steak on each square. Spread steak with about 1 tablespoon of pesto; top with mushrooms.
- Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak and pinch seams to seal tightly. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. brush egg over pastry.
- Bake at 450° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- For gravy, melt remaining butter in the same skillet; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the beef bundles.
Mar 3, 2013
I followed the recipes with exception of a few minor changes, such ass I used puff pastry, and I cooled the meat after searing and same with pesto and mushrooms. But the main things were spot on!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.