- 5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup each tightly packed fresh basil leaves and fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 6 sheets refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- For pesto, combine 3 tablespoons oil, basil, parsley, Parmesan cheese and salt in a food processor. Cover and process until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 2 tablespoons butter and remaining oil for 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until liquid is absorbed.
- Cut each pastry sheet into an 8-in. square (discard scraps). Place a steak on each square. Spread steak with about 1 tablespoon of pesto; top with mushrooms. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak and pinch seams to seal tightly. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. brush egg over pastry. Bake at 450° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- For gravy, melt remaining butter in the same skillet; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the beef bundles. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBeef Wellington Bundles
"I followed the recipes with exception of a few minor changes, such ass I used puff pastry, and I cooled the meat after searing and same with pesto and mushrooms. But the main things were spot on!"