Beef Vegetable Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 cups cubed rutabaga
- 1-1/2 cups cubed parsnips
- 1-1/2 cups cubed turnips
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beef, onions, garlic, 1/2 cup water, bouillon and enough of the broth to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add vegetables, seasonings and remaining broth. Simmer 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water; gradually add to the boiling mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Mar 7, 2011
With all of the vegetables, plus the long simmering time more liquid is needed for this recipe than stated. I will add extra cans of broth to my list next time. Also, the carrots needed longer cooking time....I will probably omit them next time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.