- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forBeef Vegetable Soup
"Nice flavor, easy to make. I added 2 minced garlic and twice as many carrots. Delicious!"
"We thought this recipe was fantastic! It tastes quite similar to my mother-in-law's delicious "Autumn Stew" and we enjoyed it just as much. I did substitute a quart of my home-canned tomato juice for the V-8 and water, which really complimented the soup. I look forward to making it again!"
"just no bay leaf"
"Just a little bland. I might try the beef broth instead if I make again."
"For some reason this recipe tasted very "tomato-y" to me; not sure why since there is only 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of V8. Perhaps I would eliminate the V8 and try another liquid in it's place should I make this again."
"Bland. Lacks seasoning."
"I loved this. I cooked the meat and chopped the vegetables the night before. (I left the chopped potatoes in salted water to keep from turning brown). In the morning I threw everything in the slow cooker before I went to work. When I came hoem it was done. So easy. The only thing I changed was for the water I added half water and half low-sodium beef broth."
"Rather than using water, as called for in the recipe, I used beef Broth. Gives it a great taste."
"I also used cubed sirloin steak coated with flour and cooked prior to putting it in the mix instead of the ground beef."