Beef Vegetable Burritos
I made up this recipe after trying a similar dish in a restaurant.—Ronda Jordan, Silver Lake, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 1-1/4 cups Spanish rice
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Salsa or sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook and stir beef, potatoes, turnip and onion in oil until meat and vegetables are tender. Season with salt, pepper and cumin if desired. Place about 1/2 cup beef mixture and rice down the center of each tortilla. Add salsa or sour cream if desired. Fold top and bottom of tortilla over filling and roll up.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 273 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Beef Vegetable Burritos in Country Woman September/October 1998