Beef Taco Salad
This salad is a flavorful, colorful way to impress that special someone! Jan Koelleen shares it from her home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup crumbled baked tortilla chip scoops (about 10 scoops)
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, taco seasoning and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Divide beef mixture between two plates. Layer with romaine, beans, tortilla chips, cheese, tomatoes, avocado, peppers and onion.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 377 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 809mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 10g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Jan's Mild But Tangy Taco Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2008