I won a first-place trophy with this stuffed squash recipe in a cook-off in 1981. I've made it for family and guests many times since. Each squash has a shiny glaze on top, which makes this a spectacular-looking dish!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 3 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Russian salad dressing
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Russian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Place squash cut-side down in a roasting pan and pour water in pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine filling ingredients. Remove squash from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°. Lightly spoon filling into each squash cavity. Combine glaze ingredients and baste meat and top of squash.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, basting with glaze every 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 426 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Beef-Stuffed Squash in Country Extra January 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips