I won a first-place trophy with this stuffed squash recipe in a cook-off in 1981. I've made it for family and guests many times since. Each squash has a shiny glaze on top, which makes this a spectacular-looking dish!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 3 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Russian salad dressing
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Russian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Place squash cut-side down in a roasting pan and pour water in pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine filling ingredients. Remove squash from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°. Lightly spoon filling into each squash cavity. Combine glaze ingredients and baste meat and top of squash.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, basting with glaze every 15 minutes.