Beef Strip Salad
For a refreshing meal in minutes, Betty Gregoire of Austin, Texas adds chilled beef tenderloin to a tasty green salad with a tangy sour cream and lemon dressing.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/2 pound beef tenderloin
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup torn leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimientos
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Cool for 10 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Thinly slice the beef; place in a small bowl. Add the onion, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Divide lettuce between two salad plates; top with beef mixture, green pepper, pimientos and olives. Combine sour cream and lemon juice; serve with salad.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 251 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 432mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Beef Strip Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.