VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, washed and crisped
- 1 beef flank steak (1 to 1-1/4 pounds) or tender beef steak of your choice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut in small wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Arrange a lettuce leaf on each dinner plate. Cut steak in half lengthwise, then cut across the grain into 1/8-in. slices.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef, basil, garlic and pepper. Stir-fry just until meat loses pink color, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the tomatoes, green pepper and green onions; toss lightly.
- Transfer beef and vegetables to dinner plates; top with sour cream and parsley. Garnish with avocado. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Stir-Fry Salad Main Dish in Country Woman July/August 1990, p37