Beef Stew with Vegetables
A few years ago, we served this beef stew at a fund-raising dinner at church. It received lots of compliments. This mini version serves two perfectly.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1 medium potato, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add beef and shake to coat. In a large saucepan, brown beef in oil. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in broth and wine or additional broth, scraping brown bits from pan. Transfer to a greased 5-cup baking dish. Stir in potato, carrots, mushrooms, bay leaf, tapioca and thyme. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring every 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 445 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Beef Stew in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.