A few years ago, we served this beef stew at a fund-raising dinner at church. It received lots of compliments. This mini version serves two perfectly.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1 medium potato, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add beef and shake to coat. In a large saucepan, brown beef in oil. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in broth and wine or additional broth, scraping brown bits from pan. Transfer to a greased 5-cup baking dish. Stir in potato, carrots, mushrooms, bay leaf, tapioca and thyme. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring every 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Beef Stew in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p132
Reviews forBeef Stew with Vegetables
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 9, 2015
"This is absolutely delicious! I may only make my stew this way from now on!"
Reviewed Oct. 18, 2009
"loved it , so did my husband. Can;t wait to make it aqgain!!!!!"