Beef Stew with Sesame Seed Biscuits
Comfort food...warm and hearty is what this dinner is all about. This recipe has it all: homemade biscuits, tender meat and an assortment of veggies. —Linda Bacci, Livonia, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + simmering Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- SESAME SEED BISCUITS:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm. In same pan, saute onions and celery until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add water; stir in tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cook until beef and vegetables are tender, 30-45 minutes longer. Stir in mushrooms and sour cream. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Arrange over stew.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 636 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1029mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Beef Pie with Sesame Seed Puffs in Casseroles Bookazine 2013