Beef Stew with Potatoes
This stew is sure to warm up your family on even the coolest winter days. It is very hearty and goes well with a slice of homemade bread.—Virginia Brown, Hudson, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 6 to 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 to 5 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups tomato juice
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven or baking dish, layer the first 12 ingredients; pour tomato juice over all. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 383 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1036mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Apr 3, 2012
Switch the tomato juice to V-8 or other vegetable cocktail for even more flavour. I can't stand mushrooms, so I always leave those out, but add some parsnip or turnip for extra body and flavour.