Beef Stew with Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 6 to 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 to 5 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups tomato juice
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven or baking dish, layer the first 12 ingredients; pour tomato juice over all. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 383 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1036mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 3, 2012
Switch the tomato juice to V-8 or other vegetable cocktail for even more flavour. I can't stand mushrooms, so I always leave those out, but add some parsnip or turnip for extra body and flavour.