Beef Stew with Dilly Dumplings
For a comforting meal, try this savory stew from field editor Bernadine Dirmeyer of Upper Sandusky, Ohio. The combination of fluffy, well-seasoned dumplings and tender meat and vegetables is so good, you’ll want to serve it to guests.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/8 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add meat; seal bag and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Add water, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return meat to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the flour, parsley, baking powder, salt, thyme and dill. Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 407 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Savory Beef Stew with Dilly Dumplings in Taste of Home October/November 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.