- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches.
- Stir in the water, bouillon, browning sauce if desired, onion salt and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and onion. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in green beans.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and cheese. Stir in enough milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes (do not lift cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBeef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings
"Really has a rich, robust flavor. Love the Cheddar biscuits. I added potatoes to make the soup a little heartier."
"Very good. Even my pickiest eater liked it."
"Very tasty and easy to make. Like other reviewers, I added potatoes and celery instead of dumplings as my husband loves his potatoes. A definite make again on a winter night."
"Delicious stew and the dumplings are excellent!"
"My family enjoyed this recipe, especially the dumplings! We try a lot of different recipes to change things up a bit and most are just okay. This one is a keeper and worth trying. My boys (16 & 18) are my best testers and they gave it a thumbs up! I used college inn beef broth instead of water and bouillon."
"Totally love these, the dumplings are to die for!"
"This stew has become a family favorite for years. The dumplings are simply the best and the flavor of the soup is so rich and beefy it satisfies my carnivores."
"I made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic. My family isn't a huge fan of the dumplings so I added potatoes to the stew and omitted the dumplings. Great flavor, this will definitely be a staple at our house over the winter!"
"Love this stew! I make it with frozen green beans and hardly ever make the dumplings, and it's still delicious!"