Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 5 cups water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 can (16 ounces) green beans, drained
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat meat with flour mixture. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Brown meat on all sides. Add onion salt and garlic salt, browning sauce, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Add carrots and onion. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender. Stir in green beans. For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and cheese. Stir in enough milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonful into bubbling stew. Cover and simmer 12 minutes (do not lift cover) or until dumplings test done. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (calculated without browning sauce): 441 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 1627mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings
"Really has a rich, robust flavor. Love the Cheddar biscuits. I added potatoes to make the soup a little heartier."
"Very good. Even my pickiest eater liked it."
"Very tasty and easy to make. Like other reviewers, I added potatoes and celery instead of dumplings as my husband loves his potatoes. A definite make again on a winter night."
"Delicious stew and the dumplings are excellent!"
"My family enjoyed this recipe, especially the dumplings! We try a lot of different recipes to change things up a bit and most are just okay. This one is a keeper and worth trying. My boys (16 & 18) are my best testers and they gave it a thumbs up! I used college inn beef broth instead of water and bouillon."
"Totally love these, the dumplings are to die for!"
"This stew has become a family favorite for years. The dumplings are simply the best and the flavor of the soup is so rich and beefy it satisfies my carnivores."
"I made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic. My family isn't a huge fan of the dumplings so I added potatoes to the stew and omitted the dumplings. Great flavor, this will definitely be a staple at our house over the winter!"
"Love this stew! I make it with frozen green beans and hardly ever make the dumplings, and it's still delicious!"