- 3 pounds lean beef stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Remove meat and set aside. In the same pan, cook the carrots, celery, onions and garlic over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add the beef, water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from broth. Strain and discard the vegetables, peppercorns and bay leaves. Return broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Skim fat from broth.
- Divide beef among three freezer containers; add 1 cup of broth to each. Cover and freeze remaining broth for another use. Meat and broth may be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- Beef Stew Mix may be used to prepare the following recipe (also found in Recipe Finder): Vegetable Beef Stew. Yield: 3 batches plus leftover broth.
Reviews forBeef Stew Mix
"Great recipe to make ahead and have on hand...wonderful flavor."