Beef-Spinach Lattice Pie
My grandmother initially used this filling for her homemade ravioli. One day she decided to bake the leftover filling in a crust...and another family favorite was born!—Marjorie Goral, Ridgefield, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a floured surface, roll out half of pastry to fit the bottom and two-thirds up the sides of a 13x9-in. baking dish. Line ungreased dish with pastry. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Spoon over crust. Roll out remaining pastry into a 15x10-in. rectangle; cut lengthwise into 3/4-in. strips. Place strips over the filling, forming a lattice crust. Press edges with a fork to seal. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 524 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 513mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Beef-Spinach Lattice Pie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book