Canned soup is the convenient base for this colorful tater topper. As the potatoes are baked in the microwave, the chunky soup—along with bright broccoli for color and flavor—is heated in a snap on the stovetop.—Joleen Jackson, Zumbrota, Minnesota
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1 can (18.8 ounces) ready-to-serve chunky savory vegetable soup
- 2 cups cooked broccoli florets
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Scrub and pierce the potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-14 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine soup, broccoli and pepper; heat through. With a sharp knife, cut an X in the top of each potato; fluff pulp with a fork. Top with soup mixture, cheese and onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Soup Spuds in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p20