Canned soup is the convenient base for this colorful tater topper. As the potatoes are baked in the microwave, the chunky soup—along with bright broccoli for color and flavor—is heated in a snap on the stovetop.—Joleen Jackson, Zumbrota, Minnesota
Recommended: 55 Savory Ways to Enjoy Sweet Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1 can (18.8 ounces) ready-to-serve chunky savory vegetable soup
- 2 cups cooked fresh broccoli florets
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Scrub and pierce the potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 7-9 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the soup, broccoli and pepper; cook until heated through. With a sharp knife, cut an X in the top of each potato; fluff pulp with a fork. Top with soup mixture, cheese and onions if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Soup Spuds in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p20