Beef Short Ribs Vindaloo
My sister shared this India-inspired beef dish with me, and I've made a few modifications to fit my tastes. I love the smell of the spices as the ribs slow cook all day!—Lorraine Carlstrom, Nelson, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas, halved
- Hot cooked rice and plain yogurt
- In a dry small skillet over medium heat, toast cumin and coriander seeds until aromatic, stirring frequently. Cool. Coarsely crush seeds in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the mustard seed, cloves, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and crushed seeds; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Cool completely.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the vinegar, bay leaves and onion mixture. Add ribs; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer rib mixture to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in peas; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until peas are crisp-tender. Skim fat; discard bay leaves. Serve rib mixture with rice and yogurt.