Beef Short Ribs Vindaloo
My sister shared this India-inspired beef dish with me, and I've made a few modifications to fit my tastes. I love the smell of the spices as the ribs slow cook all day!—Lorraine Carlstrom, Nelson, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas, halved
- Hot cooked rice and plain yogurt
- In a dry small skillet over medium heat, toast cumin and coriander seeds until aromatic, stirring frequently. Cool. Coarsely crush seeds in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the mustard seed, cloves, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and crushed seeds; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Cool completely.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the vinegar, bay leaves and onion mixture. Add ribs; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer rib mixture to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in peas; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until peas are crisp-tender. Skim fat; discard bay leaves. Serve rib mixture with rice and yogurt.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without rice and yogurt): 266 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Beef Short Ribs Vindaloo in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2013