Beef Sandwiches with Beet Spread
Stack it up! This old-fashioned beef sandwich has a zesty horseradish spread that really comes alive in your mouth. Topped with fresh onion, lettuce and tomato, it’s unbeatable. —Dawn Schumilas, White Fox, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 whole fresh beet, cooked, peeled and mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 8 hard rolls, split and toasted
- 8 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- 8 slices onion
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and beet until blended. Beat in the horseradish, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and cayenne.
- Spread rolls with butter and beet spread. Layer with beef, lettuce, tomato and onion.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 356 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1214mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Beef on a Crusty Roll with Beet-Horseradish Spread in Country June/July 2008
Jun 18, 2010
I thought it was very good.
May 21, 2010
Great recipe.....you can also just use the prepared beet/horseradish in the dairy case.
May 21, 2010
But I would either cut back on the horseradish or leave it out altogether