Beef Roast au Poivre with Caramelized Onions
- 2 tablespoons each whole black and pink peppercorns or 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 3 dried chipotle chiles, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried orange zest
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chardonnay or other white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place the peppercorns, chiles and coriander in a blender. Cover and process until coarsely ground. Stir in the onion, thyme, salt and orange peel.
- 2. Rub steak sauce and seasoning mixture over roast; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions in oil over low heat for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Stir in the thyme, pepper and salt.
- 5. Transfer meat to a warm serving platter. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with onions.
1 each: 367 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Jan 23, 2016
Very good. Make again.
Jan 17, 2010
I fixed this for Christmas dinner. The flavor was execellent. My family loved it. I will reduce the cooking temperature to 350 instead of 425.