Beef Roast au Poivre with Caramelized Onions Recipe
This beef roast with crushed peppercorns is elegant, delicious and perfect for company. The aroma in your kitchen while it's cooking will be out of this world! Elaine Sweet, Dallas, Texas
- 2 tablespoons each whole black and pink peppercorns or 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 3 dried chipotle chilies, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chardonnay or other white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place the peppercorns, chilies and coriander in a blender. Cover and process until coarsely ground. Stir in the onion, thyme, salt and orange peel.
- 2. Rub steak sauce and seasoning mixture over roast; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions in oil over low heat for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Stir in the thyme, pepper and salt.
- 5. Transfer meat to a warm serving platter. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with onions. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 367 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for Beef Roast au Poivre with Caramelized Onions
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC