Beef Roast au Poivre with Caramelized Onions
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 tablespoons each whole black and pink peppercorns or 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 3 dried chipotle chiles, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried orange zest
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chardonnay or other white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place the peppercorns, chiles and coriander in a blender. Cover and process until coarsely ground. Stir in the onion, thyme, salt and orange peel.
- Rub steak sauce and seasoning mixture over roast; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions in oil over low heat for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Stir in the thyme, pepper and salt.
- Transfer meat to a warm serving platter. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 367 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 851mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2016
Very good. Make again.
Jan 17, 2010
I fixed this for Christmas dinner. The flavor was execellent. My family loved it. I will reduce the cooking temperature to 350 instead of 425.