My mother used to serve this to our family as a one-dish meal by adding sliced potatoes with the carrots. I've updated it by substituting mushrooms for the potatoes and adding chili sauce. It's also good over rice or mashed potatoes.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hour 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3/4 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash dried thyme
- 3/4 cupsliced carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, saute beef and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is browned and onion is tender. Add the water, wine or broth, chili sauce, bacon, garlic, oregano, thyme and remaining pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and mushrooms; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots and meat are tender. Serve over noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 468 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1469mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Beef Ragout in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook