Beef Pilaf Salad
Hot, spicy, sweet, crunchy, chewy...this main-dish salad has it all! "I've had this recipe for more than 20 years, and I love it," Debbie Shivers writes from Lake Ozark, Missouri. "It's great to take to summer get-togethers."
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 2 cups thinly sliced cooked beef sirloin steak (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 351 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Rice Pilaf Salad in Taste of Home August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips