Beef Pastitsio Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, salt, oregano, pepper and garlic. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, cheese and egg; set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese and salt.
- 4. Spoon half of the macaroni mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread with meat mixture; top with remaining macaroni mixture. Pour cheese mixture over top.
- 5. Bake at 350°, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 363 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Beef Pastitsio
"needed a bit more on the seasonings but otherwise good. I also noticed the forgotten step that should have said what to do with the cheese sauce but I figured it went on top. Got it right!"
"I like this version much better than the traditional Greek recipes. Those call for cinnamon and/or nutmeg, which my family did not like the taste of. This may not be a traditional recipe, but it works just fine for us!"
"This was really good. I did need to double the macaroni and the cheese sauce."
"I use jarred pasta sauce to make it a bit faster. My kids and husband love this I make it all the time."
"we are a family of 7 and this is a favorite in my house!"
"This has been a family favorite for many years! Yes, topping is more orange than white as in the picture....but it's delicious! The cheese topping may require a little bit of patience so it doesn't burn. A keeper!"
"It worked but the topping does not look like the picture. I originally thought this WAS a shepard's pie because of the picture. Next time I will substitute mashed potatoes as the topping."
"Ritchie, you are quite right, it's spread on top of the layers of meat and mac, as if it were a shepherds pie.ViolaB "