Beef Paprikash with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian or regular paprika, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) kluski or other egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, mix flour, 1 tablespoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle over beef and toss to coat; shake off excess.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches, adding remaining oil as needed. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan.
- Add onion and pepper to drippings; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth and the remaining 1 tablespoon paprika and 3/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; return to pot. Add butter and toss to coat. Serve with stew. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup stew with 3/4 cup cooked noodles: 534 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 953mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 33g protein.
Nov 9, 2015
If I could give zero stars, I would. I was very disappointed with this bland recipe. The tomato sauce is extremely overpowering. It tastes completely one dimensional and unbalanced. It's honestly one of the worst recipes I've ever wasted my time, money and effort on. I spent $14 on beef to end up with an embarrassing failure of a Sunday dinner. I really suggest avoiding this recipe. I'm sure there are properly seasoned ones out there, but this one doesn't belong in that category.
Nov 5, 2015
The flavor was good and and the leftover stew did great after being frozen and reheated.
Oct 20, 2015
This recipe was just OK; there are better recipes out there so I won't be making this again.
Sep 14, 2015
Our family as a whole liked this. I put the stew over some stiff mashed potatoes and the starch was a great contrast to the stew liquid. I have never used canned fire-roasted tomatoes and I'm on the fence about them after eating this stew. I might just prefer regular canned tomatoes without the smokiness added. I don't know why a reviewer thought it was "bland"--I thought the flavor was quite strong! It's good enough to make again. The beef was certainly tender.
Aug 28, 2015
My kids didn't like this. Canned tomato flavor was too strong.
Aug 27, 2015
This was a very bland dish...I could not find the paprika listed, so had to use the regular. Thought it would be spicier with 2 Tbsp. of it though.
Aug 19, 2015
Wow! What a wonderful, flavorful dish! In true Hungarian style, I added one half cup sour cream before serving. Delicious!
Aug 17, 2015
Easy to prepare and had great flavor, my family loved it!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.