Beef Osso Bucco Recipe
Treat holiday guests to elegant comfort food at its best. Our beef osso bucco boasts a thick, savory sauce complimented by the addition of gremolata, a chopped herb condiment made of lemon zest, garlic, and parsley. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 beef shanks (14 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown beef in butter and oil. Transfer meat and drippings to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; pour over meat. Add the tomatoes, broth, carrots, onion, celery, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and remaining salt.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- 4. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the gremolata ingredients. Serve beef with gremolata and sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 shank with 1 cup sauce and 4 teaspoons gremolata: 398 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 47g protein.
Reviews for Beef Osso Bucco
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC