Beef or Venison Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef or venison stew meat
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Browning sauce, optional
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil. Brown meat. Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Mix flour and water; stir into stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- For additional color, add browning sauce to gravy if desired. Discard bay leaf. Serve in bowl.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 323 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 7, 2014
Very good but like the other reviewer I also added 4C. Of beef base and then used 1/2C. Flour and 1/2C. Water for the gravy. Other than these alterations it's good. The cooking time does seem a little bit off. I'll fix again.
Mar 22, 2011
I had to add some beef broth since this doesn't have any liquid & the cook time is off. The flavor wasn't bad in the end though. I think the meat would be bettter in a slow cooker version so it would end up tender.