Beef or Venison Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef or venison stew meat
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Browning sauce, optional
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil. Brown meat. Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Mix flour and water; stir into stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- For additional color, add browning sauce to gravy if desired. Discard bay leaf. Serve in bowl.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 323 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein.
Nov 7, 2014
Very good but like the other reviewer I also added 4C. Of beef base and then used 1/2C. Flour and 1/2C. Water for the gravy. Other than these alterations it's good. The cooking time does seem a little bit off. I'll fix again.
Mar 22, 2011
I had to add some beef broth since this doesn't have any liquid & the cook time is off. The flavor wasn't bad in the end though. I think the meat would be bettter in a slow cooker version so it would end up tender.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.