Beef or Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 flour or corn tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked beef or chicken
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions with tops, thinly sliced
- Sour cream
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until onion is tender. Blend in flour. Stir in broth, milk, chilies, salt and cumin. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- 2. Grease a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon a little sauce in the center of each tortilla; spread to edges. Place about 2 tablespoons meat down the center of each tortilla. Combine cheeses; sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons on top of meat. Roll up tortillas and place in baking dish, seam-side down. Pour remaining sauce over. Sprinkle with green onions and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
2 each: 450 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 1123mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Beef or Chicken Enchiladas
"AWESOME!!! These enchiladas are the best. Will definitely make them again."
"I cheated and made this into a casserole dish. I cut the tortillas into strips and then cross-cut them into 3/4" squares. I mixed the chicken into the sauce and layered the tortilla squares with sauce and cheese, ending with cheese. Not as much fun, but much less labor-intensive than individual enchiladas and the taste is the same."