Beef Onion Strudel Recipe
"I collect recipes that use crescent rolls, like this one," relates Judy Lohse of Belvidere, Illinois. "The filling in this strudel changes depending on what's in my vegetable drawer."
- 1-1/2 cups sliced sweet onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until browned and caramelized; remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, brown sugar, cumin, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add the broth; cook for 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in reserved onion.
- 2. Unroll dough and separate into four rectangles. Separate each rectangle at perforation into two triangles (see Fig. 1). Pinch two 6-in. sides together to form a triangle (see Fig. 2). Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3. Place point of one triangle near the end of a greased baking sheet. Place point of second triable in center of first triangle. Repeat with remaining triangle (see Fig. 3).
- 4. Spoon beef mixture in a 1-1/2-in.-wide strip down the center; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Starting at one end, fold alternating points across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 213 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Beef Onion Strudel
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC