Beef Onion Loaf
When I got married, I made sure to copy this onion loaf recipe from my mother's files. I've been making it for over 10 years. —Sara Bediz, Lake Jackson, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, egg, 1-1/2 cups onions, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes; drain. Combine sugar and remaining tomato sauce; spread over the meat loaf. Sprinkle with remaining onions. Place carrots and potatoes around loaf. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes more or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 328 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1038mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Beef Onion Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book