Beef ‘n’ Veggie Cheddar Pie
I usually save leftover vegetables in the freezer specifically to use in this pie. My husband and son really like the hearty filling and cheesy crust.l— Lonna Hocker, Olympia, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
- 2 cups frozen diced carrots, thawed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, combine flour, soup and water until smooth. Stir in the beef, potatoes, carrots and onion. Spoon into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- For crust, combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese and mix well. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to fit top of baking dish. Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake, at 425° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
A simple dessert is the fitting finale to a meal of Beef 'N' Veggie Cheddar Pie. Saute apple slices in butter and brown sugar until tender. Spoon into small bowls; sprinkle with chopped nuts and dash of nutmeg.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 403 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Beef 'N' Veggie Cheddar Pie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.