Beef ‘n’ Turkey Meat Loaf
Shredded potatoes bulk up this hefty meat loaf, seasoned with garlic and thyme, and shared by Fern Nead of Florence, Kentucky.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 2/3 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites and 1/3 cup ketchup. Stir in the potato, green pepper, onion, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 10x4-in. loaf.
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with heavy-duty foil and coat the foil with cooking spray. Place loaf in pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes; drain. Brush with remaining ketchup. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 165°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 240 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as New Good-Old Meat Loaf in Light & Tasty February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.